As the arms-length economic development agency of the City of Edmonton, the purpose of Edmonton Economic Development Corporation (EEDC) is to cultivate the energy, innovation, and investment needed to build a prosperous and resilient economy.
EEDC is a unique model in Canada. We are a multi-divisional, multi-location conglomerate agency of the City of Edmonton, aligned through unified purpose, vision, and values. The unique operating and governance model is scalable, creating a platform for economic development initiatives that can be started, matured, and exited as required.
This unified approach, founded on principles of scalability, adaptability, and leveraging public assets, all for a single purpose of growing our economy, means that our city can move faster on new initiatives, take on bigger risks, and achieve more than anyone could have expected.
At EEDC, we know that economic development is a team sport, and our five divisions work in unison on initiatives that generate economic impact and build the brand and reputation of our city:
- Enterprise Edmonton Division: works with inbound foreign investors and outbound local businesses who choose to take a risk and grow their business in new markets, making the leap from local to global.
- Innovate Edmonton Division: works and collaborates with businesses, stakeholders, and partners locally and regionally to foster growth downtown, and from our four innovation and entrepreneur communities:
- Startup Edmonton: an entrepreneurial campus and community hub that transforms ideas into tech-enabled products and companies.
- TEC Edmonton: a joint venture partnership between EEDC and the University of Alberta, focused on accelerating the growth of emerging technology-based companies.
- Edmonton Research Park: an incubator and accelerator space home to more than 1,500 members at 55+ companies in diverse fields from biotechnology to energy.
- Make Something Edmonton: an award-winning open project platform for engaged citizens who are shaping our city to collaborate and showcase their ideas.
- Edmonton Tourism Division: Edmonton’s destination sales organization and the marketing voice for our city’s visitor experience, regionally, nationally, and internationally.
- Shaw Conference Centre Division: Edmonton’s convention centre, an iconic downtown meeting location where people gather to learn, innovate, trade, and celebrate.
- EEDC Corporate Services Division: the glue that holds EEDC together, providing Finance, Information Technology, Human Resources, Market Intelligence, and Marketing services to all EEDC divisions.
Although our model is important and its unique benefits are remarkable, what truly defines our team are our five core values.
Public Stewardship: We have been given a tremendous responsibility to be stewards of public trust as well as the architect of bold ideas.
Selfless Approach: Everything we do is done in collaboration – with others on our teams, across our divisions and with our stakeholders – and when we win, we win together.
Lead the Way: We step up. Start something. Change something. Connect and support others who are willing to take a risk – on our teams, in our city.
Make an Impact: When every action, big or small, can make an impact, every action contributes to building a city that matters.
Caring for One Another: We have a genuine commitment to the success of each other, our shareholder and our community.
The benefits of booking your event with the Shaw Conference Centre expands beyond the event experience itself. As a division of the EEDC family, the Shaw Conference Centre is able to provide you with a direct connection to Edmonton Tourism’s vast array of business development services.
Our city’s destination marketing organization can assist you in attracting sponsorship, increasing attendance through their marketing services, room block sourcing with world-class hotels next to our centre, and more.